Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The annual update

Well it's kind of a tradition I guess to do this "annual update thing". I wish I could say I have some new news, but really we are just plugging along with the same old busy schedules. Life is just great though, I have no reason to complain. I feel so blessed lately. I look at everything that is happening around us with this crazy election and the economy going downhill so quickly, and I just can't help but be grateful for my great husband and our wonderful family and most importantly the gospel in my life. It gives me comfort and peace and I'm so thankful for it. Because of it I know that everything is going to be okay, it's all in His hands. I'm really trying not to be fearful of where this world is going, but to do the opposite and go forward with faith. It is such a scary time for all of us.

Fall break was a treat. It was so nice to have a week off of school and not dread going to statistics when I wake up in the morning. By the way, that class is fine. I hate it but it's working out much better than I thought. I surprisingly got an A on the first test, I was shocked but I have never studied harder in my life. The class is getting harder so hopefully it will give me some cushion for the next 3 tests that lie ahead. But the time off school was great, I got a lot done. I organized our closets, and filled up 2 large garbage sacks to go to the D.I. It's such a good feeling to be "cleaned out" and to get a good house cleaning in. I switched banks and tried to get some loan stuff taken care of. Boring stuff, but stuff that needed to be done. My golf class is over now for this semester (I'm still hitting right by the way) and so I started my spinning/cycling class yesterday and LOVED it. I am so excited, I have never taken a spinning class before. The instructor is adorable and really pushed us. It's gonna be great. I'm already fitting it into my schedule next semester to take the class again.

I have really been missing my little brother Joe lately. I can't even believe how perfect his mission is for him. It is the biggest crack up, I am so anxious for his letters every week. That kid is in a different country I swear. The things he writes are hysterical. He is in a little town called Spencer in West Virginia. He compares it to Kamas but with a Walmart. They live above a garage of somebody's home on like 15 acres of land. He said they can't see any houses in site. There are tons of deer and chickens in the backyard. The people he deals with are hilarious. He said they care about 4 things there: Kool aid, WWF wrestling, Andy Griffeth, and the squirrell/coon hunt. He ate squirrell for the 1st time last week. He said it was so bad, him and his companion had to put it on crackers and choke it down. Poor kid, I was gagging while I was reading it. They were putting up a barb wire fence for some guy and he brought out two .22 guns and asked them to go shoot the rats in his chicken coop. Don't worry, they killed 7. I was peeing my pants just imagining the thought of it. It is truly an experience for him. I can't believe how much he is growing and learning to love the gospel and sharing it with others. I envy his experience.
Well I am 23 today. I swear I just turned 20 the other day. Time is flying. I have heard that all my life, time flies after your 20 and it's really true. I am going to be 80 before I know it if it keeps flying this fast. I feel so blessed to have the great life that I do, although it is far from easy. I'm grateful for the opportunity to get an education and to have such a wonderful husband and family. I can't believe how many phone calls I have recieved this morning from family and friends. They are the greatest blessing in life. Unfortunately I am working a 12 hour shift today 7-7 and it's not the funnest birthday as I sit here in the Emergency Department. But if anything, it has been great to reflect back on the last 23 years of my life and think of the great life I've had and the lessons I've learned through hardships and trials and times of joy. Scott took me to McDonald's for breakfast at 6:30 this morning on the way to work, it was a treat! Much better than my daily bowl of Marshmellow Matey's. I sesriously love those McGriddles.
Lately I have seriously felt like angels are watching over me. I don't know what my problem is. I almost rammed a car last week while taking something up to Scott at school in the early morning. Luckily I was driving my mom's car and she has nice breaks and it saved us from forking out the big bucks to fix that dude's bumper. If I were in the truck, I would have been screwed. Then a few days ago I took a left turn and almost hit a guy on a scooter. I didn't even see him. He blended right in with whatever was in front of me. It was like it was from right out of a movie. He started shaking his handle bars and then shaking back and forth. My heart just sank. I barely missed him. Then last night while taking our subaru into the shop there was a guy on a motorcycle in my blindspot. I moved right over into his lane and if he didn't go into the next lane, I would've got him. Once again my heart sank and I just thought, "What is my problem?" Seriously, what is my deal lately? I have angels with me I swear. I have got to shape up with my driving, this isn't normal. Other than that we've been lucky with other things, we finally sold the honda. We really lowered our price because we were just sick of the "selling" process. All the phone calls and appointments to come see it were just not working with our busy schedules. So Scott posted it for a lower price and a lady called and said she'd be by that night with a check and they bought it. Huge blessing. I also filled out my FAFSA and I knew I was late on it so didn't think I would get much. I got a great grant, we were so excited! Then a couple days later I got notified that I had qualified for another one. I swear, it pays off to pay your tithing.
Scott and I are really bad at keeping surprises from each other so I know exactly what I'm getting for my birthday. Neither of them have come yet but I can't wait to share with you what I am getting. It is a kick in the pants but I am SO excited! You'll just have to wait and see......

2 comments:

M said...

Happy Birthday Teddy! I'm so glad you guys sold the car and that everything is working out for you guys. I hope you have a great day girly!

Shawni said...

Hey Teddy, I just happened to check your blog today and I'm so glad so I can wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sorry you have to work all day...glad you at least got the McGriddles in. I hope the rest of the day is going well! I like the idea of an annual update. Glad to hear you guys are doing well.