Monday, July 14, 2008

Going Green


Car trouble. What's new? I HATE cars! I haven't been able to get my car registered (it expired in April...I know, real bad) because I took it in to get the emissions done and it didn't pass. Something is wrong with the exhaust. Anywho, I have been driving it anyway just hoping to not get pulled over with an expired liscense plate. And then to make matters worse, it's been overheating. We finally take the car in and it's a whoppin (brace yourselves) $2,300 to get it fixed! Are you kidding? The darn car isn't even worth that much! We took it to another mechanic just to get a second opinion and he didn't find some of the things the 1st guy did. It's still a but load of money to fix but WHO DO WE TRUST? So we're really trying to figure out what to do. Is it worth it? Anyway, my point, until we decide what to do we are going "GREEN"! (as much as possible at least). It totally stinks to not have a car really, but I am going to start riding my bike to work and school and even taking the shuttle when necessary. I think the hardest part for me is the extra time that it takes to not drive, but it will be so worth it. I am excited to save on gas and I've thought a lot lately about how I need to do my part to help the environment so this will be good. The world is getting scary with our economy! I am also trying to be better with turning out our lights and turning the T.V. off before leaving our apartment. We are really bad with that because utilities are included in our rent. That's just a bad habit we have GOT to kick. So anyway, that's our car drama. I hate cars. I can't wait to have a nice one one day, I've just got to admit that. And to make matters worse, this week Scott's subaru's "Check Engine" light went on. So we dropped it off this morning at the shop and....Just great....$300 to be dropped today. Aren't you jealous?
I mean come on, all I need is this.....

Is that too much to ask Scotty? Hahaha J/K

8 comments:

Dave and Britt said...

Oh man I hear ya on hating cars!!! We sink so much money into them between repairs, gas and insurance its a freakin joke! Dave has started biking to work to save us on gas $. I wasn't so sure if it would work out because of the added time to his commute and all but its working and we are both loving it. Dave is in such a great mood when he gets home now. Anyway Congrats on going green! Wish you luck on the car problems.

Oh, and Dave is really good at fixing cars so feel free to ask him if ya ever need any help :) He does most of our repairs so he won't mind, I promise.

M said...

hey! we're selling two of our cars! :) one is a honda civic (1992) and the other is a Mercury Grand Marquis (1996). I wish we lived nearby so Dave could help you out with your car...I've been pretty lucky to have a mechanic for a husband, otherwise I think I'd go crazy paying for repairs and things. good luck with everything! love ya girly!

Kate said...

Teds! Hey remember how I drive a POS too!! Hey just be happy you have all your hubcaps! :) Sometimes the Lord puts me on friendship timeout too. It really is the worst when things go wrong with your car. I hope things work out for you! You're the best!

Jill Clark said...

I don't think that car is too much to ask for! Seriously, who doesn't deserve a car like that? I'm sorry you are having car problems, that is the worst!

Ryan and Jamie Turner said...

Gosh... I hate car problems! I'm so sorry to hear about that. Good job to ride your bike though! I don't know that I could ever do that so I'm proud of you Teddy :) Hang in there

Erica said...

Oh Teds, you and your car problems! Someone give this girl a break!!

Wendy M said...

You know, someday you will look back and laugh at this time in your lives and the things you went through. And your kids will never believe the stories! :-)

Heather said...

Ted, I hear you on hating cars. Don't even get me started. When Ryan and I got married we sold Pearl-my car. So now we just share his volvo. We had to put a new drive shaft in and get new tires for the car this year. It's been the biggest hassle. $2,300 later. It was so painful. The car was making the worst sound... now it's purring like a kitten. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. We looked into trading both of our cars in and just getting one car with lower miles. They would only give us $500 for Ryan's 99 Volvo Cross country, car salesmen are impossible.