
Well I want to wish a Happy Birthday to my favorite little guy in the whole world....my little brother Matthew. I am overwhelmed with a love for him that I could never put into words. For those of you who don't Matthew, I will give a little history. Matthew was born in Atlanta, Georgia to a wonderful single mother who took great care of him, and he had a brother as well. Matthew's mother struggled to keep them in good care, to feed them, and provide a place for them to live. When Matthew was three, his mother lost her job and could not provide for Matthew and his brother any longer. His older brother went to live with his father (a different father than Matthew's) and Matthew had to be put up for adoption. I won't go into too much detail, but we had a neighbor family waiting to adopt a little black girl, and they wanted a newborn. Well this neighbor got a call from the agency about Matthew. Of course they were waiting for a little newborn girl, so it didn't go through. Well this neighbor Jen, she had an overwhelming feeling to call my mom that day and let her know about this little boy. My family was not looking to adopt, my mom had never mentioned it to her, it was just toally random. So she told my mom all about it and then my mom called Monty and he flew in from out of town. Our family all got together and talked about it, prayed about it, and the rest is history! Three days later we had little Matthew at our home as a part of our family. I will never forget that day. It was a beautiful, warm afternoon and we knew he was coming soon. We were all in the kitchen wondering what he even looked like. They pulled up and he got out of the car, dressed in a darling outfit from the Gap that the agency lady had bought him, and a little suitcase full of worn down, old clothes. He had an orange baseball cap and cute tennis shoes. We all ran out to greet him and he said in his strong southern accent, "This my new house?" We told him, yes! Then he went up to my mom and said, "You're my new mama?" And of course then to the dog Dan and told everybody, "This my new dog." Matthew's mom had prepared him for what was coming. He new exactly what was going on. There have been no problems at all, which is very rare. He is perfectly normal, healthy, and handsome beyond his years. Matthew is such a blessing for our family, and I can't imagine what it would be like without him. He is truly a rare one. He has an imagination like you've never seen. On his way home from school, he picks up sticks and comes home with an armful everyday and makes shelters, forts, and houses out of them. He is always building something. He is truly gifted. Besides that he is the sweetest, most loving boy. One of the things I love most is Matthew's relationship with Scott. Matthew follows Scott around everywhere, repeats everything he says. When we have to leave their house to go home he always says, "Love ya Scott" and walks him all the way to the car. He is truly a blessing. I love that little boy. It is his birthday tomorrow and he will be 11. I can't believe he has been in our family for only 8 years, it seems like it's been that way since the very beginning. Sure love you buddy and look forward to all the years ahead with you. Thanks for all the joy you bring to my life.
This picture is one that Matthew's mom sent to my mom. We have about 4 pictures of him as a baby.
Coolest kid ever. Love ya bud!
5 comments:
such a sweet story and such a sweet and cute kid! Happy Birthday Matthew!
He sounds so great! How awesome to hear such an inspiring story! I hope he gets to meet his mom again someday...I just can't believe how lucky you guys have been with him, and him with you! I loved learning the story! He really is soo cute! :)
okay so cute. pretty sure you have my crying at my computer! he is so lucky to have you teds! igl
what a great story. It sounds like you guys were meant for each other.
What an amazing story! What an amazing kid, I can't even imagine coping with something like that and he handled it so well. Wow.
Post a Comment