Wow! Life is probably the craziest it's ever been for me right now. So much for summer right? I'm not trying to complain and life really is great, but man it's kickin my butt. Little update: so I finished up spring semester, had my last final on a Friday and then started up the summer semester on Monday. Yep, nice break. I have to admit, I really like summer semester because the classes are small and I am doing much better on my tests, etc. I don't have the option to fall asleep and just blend in with the crowd which therefore leads to staying awake, taking better notes, making comments, etc. which = more success. So that part is good, but they are so accelerated that they are just slamming so much info on us so fast, that's kinda hard. So definitely pros and cons. But I've got one class out of the way that was Mon-Fri from 8-5 for a week. It was tough but so great because it's over now( after I write the 3 papers for it). I wish there were more classes like that. So just four more to go and I'll be done July 18th, and summer will begin! Life is supposed to be hard though right? It's good for me. I complain about having school full time and working full time, but it will be weird when I'm graduated and just working I think. Whenever I'm not studying, I'm feeling guilty for not. I won't miss that, or the constant stress. But I will miss learning. I really have loved my major and my classes. Side note: just paid tuition last night and holy moly it's getting ridiculous. Luckily I get 1/2 off because of my job at the hospital but still with 1/2 off it's $1500 bucks! You kidding me? $3,000 for 5 classes? That's messed up.
So just a few other things that have been on my mind lately....
I'm actually really excited to move to Nebraska. I am SO sick of people's reactions when I tell them where we're moving for Scott's dental school. It usually goes like this:
"Where are you guys going away to again?"
"Omaha.....Nebraska."
"Oh man......Omaha huh? Have you ever been there?"
"Nope, sure haven't."
"There's nothing to do there....have fun."
Okay people! Come on now! It's gonna be great! I just want to shake them and be like, "If you were in our situation you would pick there too! Wouldn't you like to save $100,000?" Ya, that's what I thought! Scott was so lucky to be one of TEN guys in Utah that got offered this special program to stay here in UT and do his first year at the U's Med School. We are getting in state for the first year which is huge, PLUS he's getting 1/2 because of my job here at the hospital. AND if we come back and practice in UT (which is the plan right now) they will reinburse us $20,000 a year for three years! There! Does that explain why we would pick Nebraska over Ohio, AZ, etc.?! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest! I am so excited to go out there. It will be an experience of a lifetime. When else are we ever going to get to live in the midwest? Yeah, never because there's no mountains! So bottom line: I am excited, and you would do it too.
So speaking of being busy, I now have 4 callings in my ward. It's great and it's totally fine, we have a small ward. The bishop called me into his office on Sunday and I thought, "Great, he's releasing me from a calling or two cause maybe he knows how super busy I am this summer." Nope. I get called to be a relief society teacher. Wow. After thinking about it for a week, I'm really excited. But, I just feel so inadequate. I know people say that all the time about everything, but really though, I am. I am so not hotty totty on all my doctrine, etc. I haven't served a mission, I don't have kids, I haven't had some life changing experience, I am just simple. To me, it's all about just being kind to others, and following the commandments. I guess the bottom line is, I'm nervous. But it's gonna be a good thing. I'm so excited to learn more and I think I will really grow from it.
Well a lot is changing within my family! My dad and Crystal have moved from Holladay out to Daybreak in the last year. My brother and his wife also picked up their things and moved out to a house in Daybreak. My mom and Monty are selling their house in Holladay and moving to Midway. They are building a beautiful home that will actually fit the whole family when we all get together. It's got a gorgeous view of Timpanogas, and they're on a whole acre of land with a beautiful stream in the backyard, and my mom has built in her little greenhouse, and they will finally have a master bedroom and bathroom that they deserve. It's gonna be great. But I have mixed feelings about it of course. The house that I grew up in and have all my memories from is now going to belong to another family. Weird. But life moves on and Midway will be a great place for them. I just love their house. Too bad gas is so expensive and it's gonna cost $15 dollars to get up there! Also, my cute brother Brock and family just moved back from Phoenix this weekend and we are so excited to have them back! And before we know it my little brother Joe will have his mission call and be off to somewhere! So lots of changes going on. As for us, we're just hanging out in the village in our little 400 sq ft cinderblock apartment that we love so much. No really though, we love it. We're gonna miss it.
So my good friend at work who is an incredible, healthy little cook showed me this website that is SO awesome! It is a great time waster if you ever need it. I love to read it when it's 3am and I'm working night shifts and my brain's gone to mush and I can't study anymore. It's called www.tastespotting.com and you guys are gonna love it! It's a million recipes of everything you can imagine. There is a picture of all of them and then you can click on it and get the recipe. Don't worry, there are 300 pages of recipes. So great!
My hardest class right now is my economics class. Although it's hard and I'm hoping to pass it, it's really been a great class so far. It's such great information that I need to know. We have learned all about investing, stocks, bonds, CD's, 401K's, retirements, it's great. But we started talking about Warren Buffett and if you didn't know, he is now the richest man in the world with a net worth of about 62 billion dollars. But what I LOVE about him is that he still keeps life simple. Of course he has the luxury of doing whatever he wants, and I'm sure he travels the world and lives the high life. But he still lives in his little 2 bedroom house in OMAHA, NE (yep, we will be neighbors) with his wife, he has their same old cars and he just has great advice for investing. Our teacher read to us some of his advice that he has for young people and it was such great basic principles like spend less than you make, live within your means, and work hard. It's so true. It's hard to not go over the top these days, materialism is so huge and important to so many. Sometimes it makes me sick. I hope I never get that way. All I ask for is a car that has a decent paint job one day and one that doesn't have something break on it every week. Then I'll be good.
Life's good. I hope I didn't sound too negative with my busy schedule, I'm fine and a happy camper, just a little exhausted. Luckily Scott's the coolest guy in the whole world and keeps me goin. He's so awesome. I couldn't do it without him. We get to go on 2 fun trips this summer. We're going up to Victor, ID with my family and then to San Diego with Scott's family. His graduation present from them was 2 plane tickets to San Diego so we don't have to drive! Wooohooo! Best present ever! And then I hope we can escape for even just a day and go camping together a few times.
Alright, thanks for readin' if ya lasted this long. If so, until next time......
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved this post! I feel like you know how I'm feeling lately...OVERWHELMED!!! I just got called as Relief Society 2nd counselor and I am freaking out since I am trying to finish my degree, be a mom and wife, and there's that whole "inadequate" feeling you were talking about. But you are probably so much more overwhelmed than I am, but I am glad you can empathize with me :) By-the-way, I am actually so excited you're going to Nebraska! Dave is going to apply there next year, so that would be so cool if we decided to go cuz them we'd be neighbors! I love you Teddy! Hang in there, you're doing awesome!
Teds I have come to realize that no matter where I live people complain about how much it sucks and how there is nothing to do. Of all the places I have lived I love Nebraska the most. Just have a positive attitude which it sounds like you have and just go and do! It will be awesome I am sure! I am so excited for ya!
I have to tell you - I understand the Nebraska comments. I've lived in Utah my whole life, and in about a month my husband and I are heading to Lincoln, NE, for graduate school. Everyone I talk to has the same reaction you're getting - but I've visited both Lincoln and Omaha now - and they are beautiful. The sunsets are great, and the Lightning Bugs are pretty darn cool. Good luck!
Post a Comment