It would be such a blessing to be smart in math. Whoever you guys are that ARE smart in math, you are LUCKY! I have put off statistics for 3 years now and have finally decided to bite the bullet and just take it. I mean, I've got to in order to graduate. I was going to take it next semester (my last one) but then I thought, "What if I don't pass? Then I can't graduate." So I'm trying to get it over with. So: It's week 3 and I am struggling. This teacher is the worst! I mean, I don't get a darn thing out of class. I am sitting front row and center, completely focused, trying to be a good student but it is not working. I go to the library to do my homework assignments for the class and what I read in the chapter isn't even CLOSE to what I got out of class. I want to just shake him and be like, "You need to learn how to teach!!!" He needs to be like, "Okay, today we are going to talk about deviation. It is when this occurs......." Then do some examples. But instead he just goes off and uses huge words that mean nothing to me. He makes it way more complicated than needs be.So yesterday in class he was doing this huge example on the board going a million miles an hour. I was totally lost. I was so frusterated. So I raise my hand and interupt him and say, "Can you please explain WHERE you are getting all these numbers from?" (I'll admit, I had a little bit of attitude in my tone, but I was frusterated). And while I said it tears started welling up in my eyes. He just stared at me for a minute without saying anything and I could feel the tears coming. (Side note: this is in front of the whole class people). Inside I'm like, "No Teddy! It's gonna be okay! Don't cry! Don't cry! Don't cry! Just go read the book after class and you'll be fine." It was so embarrassing. So throughout the rest of the class he kept staring at me and I'm sure he was thinking, "Oh that poor girl. She's so frusterated she's crying." And I want to tell him is that he officially stinks as a teacher. He needs to retire. I wish I had a picture of him, just imagine this: Long greasy, gray hair that's in a ponytail. Thick bottle cap glasses held on by a black chums thing, and of course we can't forget the fanny pack he wears. Yep, that's Mr. Davis. Terrible. It will be a miracle if I get through this one.
12 comments:
I have never taken stats in my life so I am not sure what it is all about. I would love to help, but not sure how helpful I would be. Probably I would spend more time learning how to do it than helping you with it. I am one of those special math people. I love math. I am weird. I know :).
K, Teddy, you are not alone in the scary professor department. I had a professor totally massacre me in front of a whole class once and I was so mortified I dropped the class (course, I didn't need it to graduate...) but now it is such a funny memory to me. Besides just remember all dental students' favorite line, "C's get degrees." all ya gotta do is pass.
Oh, Teddy girl, you poor thing, I'm having sympathy frustration. Dave and I took statistics together and we had a professor with a very, very thick accent. It was horrible. Somehow, though, Dave and I made it through just fine. I guarantee if you are lost, so are a lot of other people. Hang in there!
Also, your description of the guy had me a laughin' :)
Ohh Teds! Math is not my thing. You are not alone. Keep your head up!
A lot of people struggle through stats. I had a really good teacher and so i breezed by, but not everyone is that lucky, evidently you are one of the unlucky ones. Don't worry. The worst that can happen is that you have to take it again. No matter what happens the church is still true, and THAT is all that matters.
When I took stats in my undergrad I had a great professor, but what made the difference for me was the book I had. It's called "Success at Statistics" and it was written to explain statistics by making fun of them (if that makes sense). The point is, it is pretty easily understood and explains things fairly clearly. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you want (yeah I'm one of those nerds that keeps their college books) just let me know and I'll bring it by.
Good Luck!
oh teddy, i totally sympathize! when i took stats, my professor didn't speak english, and didn't write legibly. the second time around was much better :) but i have confidence that you will do just fine!
haha! Teddy I love you! You are so darling. I am so glad that you got a little choked up, your teacher needed a wake up cal. I love how honest you are.
The two lowest grades in my college career were in stupid stats classes...I don't know if I'll ever understand it. Good luck surviving it!!
I laughed out loud when I read this post. Your professor sounds special.
That description sounds like my photography teacher at the U... but it couldn't be him, right?? The description fits at least. Hang in there babe!!
Post a Comment