Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It was a great birthday Y'ALL!





For Scott's birthday this year I decided to cook him a home cooked, true Southern meal! Since he grew up in the south and served his mission in Mississippi/Louisiana he has always talked about all the good food he ate down there, and he gets nothing even close to it around here. So I have had this planned for months now. I work with a guy who is from Louisiana and he taught me how to make gumbo! I sent away to Louisiana for the roux that is necessary to make it. They sent me a big jar of it and it is the real thing you guys! I spent all day chopping, and cooking away. It was a blast! I also made these incredibly bad for you things called hush puppies. They are made up of creamed corn, chopped onion and some other stuff. You make the batter and then you drop spoonfulls into grease and fry them! When I was making them I thought it was the most disgusting thing in the world and they actually turned out to be delicious! And for desert I made a bread pudding that was incredible! The only problem was that we were so full from the gumbo, we couldn't eat much. But it was a blast and Scott was so appreciative of it all. He totally loved it! I tried to make it a surprise for him but of course he out-smarts me every single time I try to surprise him with anything. A few days before he saw on the Zions Bank account that I had ordered something (the roux) and he was like, "Did you order something from Cajun Grocer?" I was dying and tried to make up some lame story but totally dug myself deeper and then just said, "Look! No more checking the online account until your birthday is over dude!" So even though I tried to cover it up, it wasn't totally a surprise. One day I will get him though.



Scott's fun birthday presents consisted of an ipod shuffle(since he shut his nano in the car door and the shuffle is all we can afford at the moment), the Utah PGA golf pass book with lots of discounts on courses around here and two for ones (it's a must in the family for all the boys), and of course new garmets. Ever see such an exciting look for underwear as a b-day present as the one above? Ya, me neither. You can tell they were a necessity!

One more funny thing....so Scott and my brothers and Monty played 18 holes on his birthday (Saturday) at Thanksgiving Point. It started snowing on them on the 16th hole, but they still managed to finish! I took this picture below about an hour and a half after he got home! Who would have thought they could've pulled off 18 holes on a day like this?!


2 comments:

Don't Hit Bikes said...

Happy Birthday again Scott. Sorry we couldn't be there to celebrate. Looks like a blast. Teddy, you are the cutest wife ever, Scott is so lucky to have you. I hope I can be like you someday. Love you guys.

Erica said...

What a cute meal idea Teddy. What a darling little wife you are! Lucky guy! See you SOON!!!