We had so much fun spending time with family, it was like a family reunion for Scott and I (which was a major plus) for us! The weather in St. George was perfect for us. We had a great first few days hangin' with the fam, swimming and having a good time.



The day before the race we went to the expo and they picked up all their stuff and got their numbers tattooed on their arms and legs (bib number on arms, age on leg).



I loved seeing all the athletes and getting in the spirit of what was to come! I've never been around so many fit people in my life! hahaha The craziest part of all that day is everyone thought I was my dad's wife and Jane was our baby. Sheesh! Come on people! Only a compliment to you daddio. He kept saying, "No, no. This is my daughter and my grandbaby. I am a grandpa!" 

The night before the big day we had the most delicious dinner all together as a family. It was my dad, Crystal, mom, Monty, grandma and grandpa, Tay, Ker & kiddos, Matthew, Joe, Spencer, and Scott and I. We grilled a delicious turkey tenderloin, salmon, quinoa salads galore, edamame salads, fresh pineapple, watermelon, tons of fresh veggies...mmmm I wish I could eat it all over again. It was so fun to all be together as a family awaiting the next day of what was to come for the boys. 
After dinner we watched a DVD of the Kona Ironman in Hawaii. What an inspiring thing to watch and perfect to get us in the spirit for Saturday! It got me so excited of what was to come and gave me so much appreciation for what these amazing athletes go through. After we watched the DVD, my dad and Taylor did a little devotional and they were amazing. They talked about their training and what they've been through. My dad showed us his hand written log that he's kept for the last year and a half, averaging 20-24 hours each week. I don't know how they did this with families and jobs and everything else that life throws at you. They thanked their cute wives for putting up with them and allowing them to do this. My dad compared the race day to real life. There's aid stations all along the way helping them out, giving them food, drinks, medical help, energy, etc. and he talked about how in life we have those aid stations along with us every day as well. First and foremost the Savior, prayer, scripture study, family, our spouses, etc. The spirit was so strong there in that room and I had the most overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my family. 
Saturday morning began at 4:45 in the morning up at Sand Hollow Resevoir. It was a beautiful morning for a swim!
What an amazing site to see 1,600 people in the water with goggles and swim caps waiting to start their journey for the day.
The gun fires and off they go! It's a mad house of splashes and kicking and craziness for 2.4 miles. I would have an anxiety attack, I don't know how they do it.
Tay did the swim in 1:07 and my dad followed in at 1:40. He went off in the wrong direction following somebody which put him back! You had 2:20 to complete it (reminder: if you don't do each section in the time allowed, you are out and cannot compete anymore. Heartbreaking to witness).
Saturday morning began at 4:45 in the morning up at Sand Hollow Resevoir. It was a beautiful morning for a swim!Then they were off on their 112 mile bike ride. I have zero pictures of either of them on their bikes because they zoom by so fast and it was hard to catch them! It was seriously a guessing game all day trying to figure out where they were. If they could have a stinkin' cell phone it would make our lives so much easier! We were a great support system along the way, if I may say so myself :)
And here Tay comes!!!!
Don't worry, he stopped and gave his cute wife a hug & kiss and she hopped the fence right before he went through the finish line. Yes, it was adorable....and quite emotional.
Woohoo Tay!!! His time was 12:25 which was amazing considering he had to walk 7 miles of the marathon. You rock Tay man!
So we had one in and one to go! So I ran Jane home and put her to bed (she was SUCH a trooper during that long day) and then zoomed back to watch dad come in! It was fun to wait around and watch people coming in....(especially baby free!)
Dad came in at 15:56 (about 11pm) and was feelin' great! The first thing he said was, "That was worth every minute of it!" He paced himself so well and was so happy. We were so proud of him.




We stayed around at the finish line till midnight, which was the cut off for the finish (17 hours) and it was so awesome. It was so inspiring because you know these are the people who have really struggled and fought to make it. Lots of people walking, arms out, balancing themselves, delirious, you know they're tired when there's flaring lights, blasting music, screaming fans cheering them on, they're RIGHT there at the finish but they just can't move any faster. The last person came in with 4 minutes to go and they announced there was one more person coming so we were screaming for them, hoping they would come in time but they never showed. Oh it just breaks your heart, they were so close!!!! I just have so much admiration for all the participants. Almost 1,700 started and 1,310 finished. How inspiring you are!
So proud of you two studs!!!! It's a day we'll never forget. Woohooo!!!!!

2 comments:
Teddy,
Thanks for posting all those great pics. We sure missed everyone. I also love the quinoa salad!
seriously so amazing, what an inspiration!!
Post a Comment