We all crammed into the La Quinta motel the night before the big race and all got the worst night's sleep of our life, only to wake up at 5 the next morning to get to the race. Meet our team: Team Swagger!
So our route was the same as the full marathon and we each took a leg. The legs varied on distance depending on hills, etc. so from 3.3 miles to 7. We were bussed off to where our legs started and dropped off and just waited until our team mates arrived to send us on our way! Our team did great, we got just under 4 hours. We were proud of ourselves seeing that all 3 of the boys are dental students who basically sit on their behinds all day, every day and never get a chance to get out and run, Dahlia who was a great sport for joining our team last minute and doesn't run much at all, and I was super sick and had just called in the day before because I could hardly walk up the stairs without feeling I was going to pass out. It was truly the longest 7 miles of my life!! I felt like I was running the whole marathon, but we all survived and it was a great feeling to be done!
Here's the whole clan of runners (Ali and Tiffany did the full marathon and did awesome)!
Scott has never run more than 5 miles in his whole life and totally rocked his leg! He had 6.3 miles to run and did it in about 45 minutes. He had the very last leg and so he was able to run through the finish line with all the marathon runners and had a blast. He was literally sprinting he had so much adrenaline from everyone cheering for him, handing him gummy bears, etc., and everyone was shouting, "Look at that tall guy run!" and "Go red! Go!" It was one of the funnest moments of his life (according to him) and quite a site to see! So we were proud of him, especially for making up for some of our slow time!
This is Ali, my very bestest best friend out here who I love and adore. She ran the whole marathon in a short 3 hours and 30 minutes and qualified for the Boston marathon which she was so excited about! She is a rockstar.

The whole crew who came down:
After an afternoon of resting (acting like we had run a full marathon) we showered and went out on the town.......for the best barbeque in the whole world. After all, Kansas City is known for barbeque and boy howdy did we find it alright! One of our friends brother's lived in Kansas City and told us the place to go. Who would've thought the best food we've ever had would be inside a gas station? Yep! Oklahoma Joe's! You walk into this gas station and on one side is just a normal station and on the other side is a hoppin' restaurant that smells of delicious ribs and brisket!
(here is a picture from the "gas station" side. Notice the line going out the door?
Scott placing his order......and then 5 minutes later......he's the happiest boy in the world:
Did you need a close up of that goodness?
AMAZING. It truly was.
We digested by walking around what's called "The Plaza", and it's every shop you can possibly imagine. Let's just say it's a good thing Scott and I have zero money and we were with 4 boys or I would've been in big trouble. But don't worry, I'll be back. We went to the cutest little homemade ice cream shop, Murrays. They had delicious hot cookies, brownies, hot cocoa, homemade ice cream, apple cider, banana splits, you name it. Even fat free soft serve ice cream for those of us who felt we had far spent our calories up at Okalahoma Joe's! Mmmmmm delicious!
We can't wait to go to Kansas City again! We will be back for more Okalahoma Joe's (since every night Scott mentions, "Oh I wish I could have Okalahoma Joe's right now."), and me to do some shopping maybe??? Thanks for the great time everyone and forever strong Team Swagger!!!
3 comments:
Wow I'm impressed! I guess I am just way too lazy - the thought of running even a mile makes me tired! haha K, so Dahlia was totally in the education program here...small world. Glad you're havin fun!
What a fun trip!! I bet Scotty was in heaven at the bbq joint. I still can't believe how fast he ran! Congrats on the race and I'm glad you had such a fun trip!
HOW FUN!! I have always said my life's goal is NOT to run a marathon, but maybe it would be kinda fun to run IN a marathon, as long as I could finish up with a nice round of onion rings and some ribs and ice cream. Oh my I would have loved to see Scotty sprinting in that finish, hee hee.
Post a Comment