Thursday, October 8, 2009

I let them down....

Today at school we had an awesome assembly for the kids. Two people from the Enchanted Rainforest came and talked all about the rain forest and brought real, live animals to show the kids. They were loving it, it was getting more and more exciting with each animal they brought out. From the talking parrot to the monkeys and whatever that animal on Madagascar is.....it was great! They called on 3 volunteers to come up and pointed at me. I was excited to see what furry kind of animal would be crawling all over me next and the kids were loving it. My class was cheering for me as I walked up and they thought it was just the coolest thing that Mrs. Elder got to go up in front of the WHOLE school and touch an animal!! So I'm standing there next to two other teachers and I look back waiting to see what they were going to bring out next and what do I see???? This:NO WAY. Immediately my heart jumped outside of my chest and was beating just as bad as when Scott and I were camping last summer and were positive there was a bear outside our tent that was surely going to kill us. I BOOKED it. I ran away from that thing as fast as I could and started to CRY. Wow! How embarrassing is that? Let me explain, it was like I had no control over my body, the tears just started flowing along with the heart beating like I had just sprinted a marathon for crying out loud. All day long every kid that passed me in the hall mentioned the episode or asked, "Are you really THAT afraid of snakes?" or "It was just a snake." or "You are such a scaredy cat!" I always said I hate snakes and am scared of them, but now after today I truly know (after my first true encounter with one.....let alone a 10 ft. long BOA CONSTRICTOR) that I truly am terrified of them. According to my students, I could have been famous after today but instead I cried in front of the whole school. Did I mention, that kind of snake can eat something 3 times the size of the fattest part of their body? (a.k.a. ME?) Hello!!!! Ten bucks they would've ran too.
Plus, I might be "weird" for crying over a snake, but at least I'm not this weird:

4 comments:

Linsey said...

I'm with ya Teddy! I was crying just thinking about it. Yuck!

Keri Cannon said...

I would'e cried too! Snakes and spiders seriously make me so nervous!!! I love you!!

abby o said...

Oh Teddy, that is one of my favorite stories I've EVER heard. Maybe you could have been famous (especially if you'd worn your black eye shadow and bikini top) but I bet you made some timid kid's day by showing that even grown ups get scared! SOOO funny.

M said...

holy cow!!! they could've atleast told you what it was before they asked for volunteers. i'm so sorry! i would've ran and cried too...seriously. not fun.