Well, times have changed! At Jane's blessing we had a little breakfast afterwards and my mom made some homemade granola and we just had some fresh fruit and yogurt to go with it. Scott LOVED it. He asked if I would ever made that and he promised he would eat breakfast every day if I would.
So I did. And it is delicious. And healthy. And he hasn't missed a day! He eats it every morning with raspberries and Danon Light n' Fit vanilla yogurt and he's in heaven.
I just made my 5th batch today. We're going through it like crazy. I'll share the recipe with you.
(Ok I have to be honest though, I kind of just wing it and don't really follow the recipe anymore. I've learned that I can double the oat amount and still use less oil than the recipe calls for and it works great). But here's the recipe and you can do what you want with it:
GRANOLA
Basic Ingredients:
3 cups oats (I use 6)
1 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup Canola Oil (I use a little less than this and you could use coconut oil too)
2/3 cup honey (I add a tinse more than this)
Optional things to add:
Vanilla or Almond Extract
Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
Craisins or raisins (any dried up fruit. My mom adds chopped apricots and cherries)
Sweetened/unsweetened Coconut (This makes it and Scott always says coconut is like chewing carpet, but little does he know he loves it in there!)
Chopped Pecans or Sliced Almonds (I've been doing some raw chopped walnuts with the almonds)
Pretty much anything your heart desires!
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
First combine dry ingredients in a bowl, including all the nuts, seeds, and dried fruits you want in there. Then with a liquid measuring cup measure oil and honey and add your vanilla/almond extract if you want that. Stir it and pour over oat mixture. Stir well until moistened. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper and pour mixture onto it and spread out evenly. I like to bake mine for about 10-15 minutes and then stir it and do it at least 10 more. It totally depends on how crunchy or soft you want it. We like it kind of soft.
ENJOY!
3 cups oats (I use 6)
1 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup Canola Oil (I use a little less than this and you could use coconut oil too)
2/3 cup honey (I add a tinse more than this)
Optional things to add:
Vanilla or Almond Extract
Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
Craisins or raisins (any dried up fruit. My mom adds chopped apricots and cherries)
Sweetened/unsweetened Coconut (This makes it and Scott always says coconut is like chewing carpet, but little does he know he loves it in there!)
Chopped Pecans or Sliced Almonds (I've been doing some raw chopped walnuts with the almonds)
Pretty much anything your heart desires!
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
First combine dry ingredients in a bowl, including all the nuts, seeds, and dried fruits you want in there. Then with a liquid measuring cup measure oil and honey and add your vanilla/almond extract if you want that. Stir it and pour over oat mixture. Stir well until moistened. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper and pour mixture onto it and spread out evenly. I like to bake mine for about 10-15 minutes and then stir it and do it at least 10 more. It totally depends on how crunchy or soft you want it. We like it kind of soft.
ENJOY!
4 comments:
that sounds so yummy! does it keep? i was thinking maybe i could send it to chris while he's deployed. he never gets enough grains/protein. i'm always looking for things that will keep for about a month to send to him. if not, i'll just have to feed it to him when he gets home!
Its the exact same way in our house. Caleb is not a fan of breakfast at all. Its pathetic whenever he attempts to eat breakfast. Carter out eats him every time. I on the other hand could survive on breakfast food. It's my favorite any time of day. I'm dying to try this new recipe out! Next time you come here we'll do a big fun breakfast! Miss you guys!
I am so not a baker, so stupid questions, quick oats or not? or does it matter?
I am so excited to try this recipe. I think Ryan would love this too. He'd be so happy we are eating something healthy too, I need to lay of baking so many cookies.
I hope you're having so much fun in Utah. Love all the posts! So fun to see what you're up to.
Post a Comment